Monday, September 15, 2008

Decision,Discipline & Determination

I would like to share something which I recently read in Forbes Asia.
This is story about Wong Fong Fui – Singapore’s 37th richest man. He own Singapore’s oldest companies – Bousteadco Singapore. He has transformed the company now called Boustead Singapore, from a hodgepodge of mostly unprofitably business into a well-regarded provider of industrial engineering and infrastructure. What I’m interested more is his hunger of success. He born into a poor family in Johor. He became a rubber tapper at age 7. “Life was tough – all I saw every day was rubber trees and mosquitoes. My early objective was to escape and live in the city”, Wong says. He taught himself English by buying a dictionary and studying ten words a day. He woke up at 5 am each morning to listen to the BBC on the radio. He was accepted into secondary school after he wrote an essay, “My Store”. An excerpt: “ I tap rubber trees. I see rubber trees in the morning. I see rubber trees in the evening. I see rubber trees
every day, day in, day out. Rubber trees, rubber trees. I hate rubber trees”.

After I read this story, it makes me to wonder what actually determination can mean to someone. Its trigger me on Thomas Edison quotes:
The first requisite for success is
to apply your physical and mental
energies to one problem incessantly
without growing weary
.
Decision, discipline and determination are keys for success.
There is one book by Brian Tracy -“Eat that Frog” which help on character building and steps to achieve goals in our lives.
I think that’s all for today snippet. I hope it is not boring as this is my first try.
I’m very excited and looking forward for healthy and encouraging comments.
Cheers.

No comments: